Afridi may reconsider retirement plans after World T20

Published: February 24, 2016
PHOTO: AFP

PHOTO: AFP

Pakistan T20I captain Shahid Afridi has spoken of pressure from friends and family who think he must not hang his boots in April after the World Twenty20 in India.

When asked if he is not going to retire after the World T20, the soon-to-be 36-year-old said: “I’m not saying that. What I am saying is there is a lot of pressure on me that I shouldn’t retire from T20s. That I can play on, and as such there is no real talent coming through in Pakistan whose place I am taking.”

Need to lift performance to inspire team as captain: Afridi

Meanwhile, the all-rounder clarified that his main focus is on the World T20 which will pose a great challenge for him.

“For a while now there is a lot of pressure from my family, a lot of pressure from my friends, including my elders, who say there is no need for me to retire from Twenty20,” said Afridi as quoted by ESPNcricinfo. “That is a huge pressure. For now, in truth, I am focusing only on the World Cup. That is a huge challenge for me.”

Afridi further said he is completely fit but he wants to see where Pakistan stand after the world event in India to reconsider his retirement decision.

Afridi, Malan inspire Peshawar to eight-wicket win over Quetta

“First I want to see where Pakistan stand in the World Cup,” he said. “Whether I am capable of taking the team forward on the back of my performances; I want to check where I am standing myself. As far as playing goes my fitness is zabardast [awesome]. Energy is also there. I can play cricket. But I would be able to tell things clearly after the World T20,” he added.

Afridi was one of the main performers in Pakistan’s 2009 World T20 triumph. He has represented the country in all five World T20s and has the most international caps i.e. 90.

As far as his individual performance is concerned, he has taken 91 wickets, the most in the shortest format, and has an economy rate of 6.66 – third best after West Indies off-spinner Sunil Narine and Pakistani off-spinner Saeed Ajmal.

West Indies’ Sammy impresses Afridi with Pashto skills

His captaincy record, meanwhile, is pretty ordinary with 16 wins and 19 losses in a total of 35 outings for Pakistan.

In the recently concluded Pakistan Super League, Afridi led the Peshawar Zalmi side into the play-offs but wasn’t able to inspire the franchise into the final.

Hampshire sign Afridi for NatWest T20 Blast

Afridi has been inducted into the Hampshire team for the NatWest T20 Blast.

‘I am very pleased to be returning to Hampshire,” said Afridi as quoted by the Daily Mail. “I really enjoyed my previous spells there and I’m looking forward to spending some time on the beautiful south coast and playing some serious cricket in front of the Hampshire fans at the Ageas Bowl.”

Hampshire director of cricket Giles White said: “This year it has been a challenge to get the top players over for significant periods of the Blast so we are delighted that he is available for the entire tournament.

“Shahid made a huge impression last time he was with us and his return is a major boost ahead of our T20 campaign.”

• Ali
    Feb 24, 2016 - 3:43PM

Damn.. why not before the WC?!!!Recommend

• Haji Atiya
    Feb 24, 2016 - 3:46PM

Afridi should reconsider; he’d make more money winning fictitious matches starring on Pepsi commercials !Recommend

• PakPower
    Feb 24, 2016 - 3:47PM

Wow. And we thought we would finally be getting rid of the Afridi enigma.Recommend

• Zee
    Feb 24, 2016 - 4:09PM

Oh God no, no please no. Just go away already, disappear please!Recommend

• babloo
    Feb 24, 2016 - 5:35PM

Yes!! Way to go Boom Boom Afridi. Afridi is best for business ( You can compare him to The Undertaker from WWE). A legend who is a great draw for TRP’s. Thanks Boom Boom, please do play Recommend

• bash gul
    Feb 24, 2016 - 7:39PM

Besides his family and friends who are those who are advising him not to retire? We are fed up of his playing and statements of retirement. He is like a politician who cannot stay out of the government.Recommend

• KhalidS
    Feb 24, 2016 - 8:27PM

Bring Misbah back please. Recommend

• pervaiz
    Feb 24, 2016 - 9:00PM

Mr. Afridi, now you can quit with honor & grace otherwise you will pushed out if you could score only 10 & 15 in coming two matches, Avail this opportunityRecommend

• Rawalpindi Kid
    Feb 24, 2016 - 10:31PM

What a poor statement from someone who is supposed to be a leader. Ridiculing new talent (of which there is plenty) to promote himself is unbecoming of a player much less a captain. His own performance has been dismal at best, and reckless as usual. Don’t know why he is in the team other than crowd pleaser. Please retire, preferably before the worldcup. Pakistan will be better off.Recommend

• Parvez
    Feb 24, 2016 - 10:38PM

The Afridi ‘ brand ‘ is still strong as a marketing tool, earning him millions…….without cricket that would pretty much stop…….so he will keep playing, its good business.Recommend

• Ch. Allah Daad
    Feb 25, 2016 - 2:22AM

That will be best day of our history when Afridi retires from cricket and Imran from politics.Recommend

• Rebel
    Feb 25, 2016 - 9:29AM

One should quit at the time of his peak (like Imran Khan). For Afridi that time has come and gone. Soon sponsors will be pressurising PCB to get rid of him. My message to Afridi is this “we love(d) you before and we hate you ‘now”’. Time to go.Recommend

• karl
    Feb 25, 2016 - 11:18AM

“..no real talent in Pakistan whose place I am taking…” Really???????
    Just go as you promised and see the talent bursting forth to not only take your place but to deliver when it matters & raise the team standard to where it should be – No. 1 in all three formats.

Dont believe me? just leave and see….pleaseRecommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.

More in Sports