Turkey announces new security measures following Ankara attack: PM

By AFP
Published: February 20, 2016
SHARES
Email
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu (C) stands behind the flag-draped coffin of a car bombing victims during a funeral ceremony at Kocatepe Mosque in Ankara on February 19, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu (C) stands behind the flag-draped coffin of a car bombing victims during a funeral ceremony at Kocatepe Mosque in Ankara on February 19, 2016. PHOTO: AFP

ANKARA: Turkey is to introduce new national security measures, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Saturday, in the wake of a suicide car bombing in Ankara that killed 28 people.

“We are going for changes in the matter of security,” Davutoglu said after a five-hour meeting in the capital with security chiefs, saying an anti-terror “action plan” was being prepared.

The premier said that as part of the new plan more security forces would be deployed and their presence would become “more visible”, but he also called on citizens to do their part.

Turkey’s Erdogan says saddened by US arming of Syrian Kurdish militia

“Terrorist groups aim to cause trauma and chaos among the population. We must all assist the security forces,” he said. “No security efforts can succeed without the support of the people.”

Davutoglu also rejected a Kurdish militant group’s claim of responsibility for Wednesday’s attack in Ankara, which targeted a military convoy.

Ankara attack: Turkey blames Kurd militants for bombing

The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), who have been linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), said the attack was revenge for operations by the Turkish military in the southeast of the country.

But the Turkish government insists that the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia were behind the attack, in cooperation with the PKK.

The YPG and PYD deny accusations from Ankara that they are branches of the PKK and have rejected having any involvement in the attack.

Davutoglu added that 22 suspects had been detained over the Ankara bombing.

Facebook Conversations

More in World