Kaneria's life ban: I am being mistreated because I am Hindu

Published: January 21, 2016
Danish Kaneria with his son. PHOTO: AFP

Danish Kaneria with his son. PHOTO: AFP

Pakistan’s most prolific Test spinner Danish Kaneria has forwarded his plea to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in order to get one last hearing on his spot-fixing case which resulted in a life ban.

“It will save me, my life, and whatever cricket is left in me,” said Kaneria, while talking to the Mid-Day. “I am living on my last savings. I do not know how long I will survive. I can even teach young Indians the art of spin, can’t I? Why can’t they call me? I am one of them.”

ECB seeks Pakistan’s help in recovering $390,000 from Kaneria

Kaneria is only the second-ever Hindu to play for Pakistan at the highest level — the first was his wicket-keeping cousin Anil Dalpat — and was something of a poster-child for the country’s minorities until his ban.

The 35-year-old believes he has exhausted all options in Pakistan and is being shunned aside only because he is a Hindu — a minority in the country.

“Every avenue has dried up for me in Pakistan; I seem to have no takers for my appeals from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). I am dying,” said Kaneria. “It is because I am a Hindu, a minority in Pakistan. It is because I refused to admit my involvement in spot-fixing when the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) charged me. I want to be heard, is it very difficult to hear me out?”

The leg-spinner added that International Cricket Council (ICC) chief executive Dave Richardson told him that the world body acted on the decision taken by the ECB and that is why they will not entertain his plea.

Danish Kaneria summoned by SHC over ECB’s recovery claims

“I told him he was biased, many have been pardoned, why not me,” questioned Kaneria. “The Scotland Yard found no evidence against me; the ECB reacted on the basis of the confessions of one cricketer. Look at the way the PCB has handled Mohammad Amir’s case. What about me? Isn’t that unfair?”

When told that Amir admitted his guilt and responded well to the rehabilitation program, Kaneria said, “He did [so] because he was involved, I didn’t because I was not. It’s almost like punishing me for introducing Mervyn Westfield to Anu Bhatt [an Indian businessman suspected of involvement in illegal betting].”

Kaneria, who has taken 261 wicket for Pakistan in 61 Tests, said he has been living a life which resembled a house arrest and the BCCI is now his only hope towards an honourable exit.

SHC orders Kaneria to submit his reply

“See what I have been reduced to by the ECB, the ICC and the PCB. I cannot play any cricket falling under the ambit of PCB. I cannot visit a PCB ground, nor can I train at their facilities. I cannot even meet my former cricketer friends. It’s like living under house arrest,” said Kaneria, who still trains for a few hours at the Karachi Parsi Institute Ground with some locals.

“Only the BCCI can save me. [BCCI secretary] Anurag Thakur should consider my case and urge [president] Shashank Manohar to speak to the ICC. Lift the ban, help me get an honourable exit.”

In a later update, Kaneria told the Press Trust of India that Indian media exaggerated his comments.

“I don’t want to make any comments but things have been overstated and misinterpreted in the Indian media. Yes I am very frustrated, hurt and against the wall but I remain a Pakistani,” said Kaneria.

A disciplinary panel of the ECB banned Kaneria in June 2012 after he was found guilty of corruption while playing for Essex in a limited-overs match in 2009 and imposed a fine of £100,000 on the cricketer.

He lost his second and final appeal against the penalty in August 2014.

• salman
    Jan 21, 2016 - 4:56PM

LOL what a freak. He should cry in front of England cricket board who made him banned from every ICC associated bodies including PCB.Recommend

• Sam
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:00PM

When tainted Aamir and Asif are allowed to play, then why not kaneria? Just because he is Hindu….shameRecommend

• Vicky
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:04PM

Hindus living third class citizens life in pak , they don’t have legal approval for their marriage and deate certificates…Recommend

• Rohit
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:06PM

Brother kaneria you should come to India …i m sure if indian govt can give citizenship to adnan Sami, you are too eligibleRecommend

• waqas
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:13PM

yeah.. its fault of PCB that English Court charged you with fixing and corruption. and only BCCI can save you because they are only interested in players who support bookmakersRecommend

• Blunt
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:17PM

An ordinary player at the best has managed to play 61 tests and still being ‘mistreated’. Ask from those talented guys who kept knocking the door for selection but never got to make into the side. Recommend

• Herry
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:23PM

Only Hindu cricketer are not allowed to play, their is no Hindu actors in pak movies and drama too…Recommend

• Besharam Khan
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:24PM

Dear Kaneria,

you were banned by ICC which is currently administrated by Hindu nation… Don’t drag religion into your own misdoings.Recommend

• nasser
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:32PM

He may be wrong in his perception but PCB has indeed ignored his case. Its sad Recommend

• Dev
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:33PM

He should apply for indian citizenship, hope govt will grant him citizenship like samiRecommend

• Malik Saab
    Jan 21, 2016 - 5:43PM

He is banned by ECB ( England Cricket Board). So now India is discriminating against him based on his religion?Recommend

• Islamic Thekedar
    Jan 21, 2016 - 6:35PM

From where BCCI comes in to the picture. If PCB can not support you, nobody in the world can do so.Recommend

• ShamelessPakistanis
    Jan 21, 2016 - 6:42PM

Yes Danish, Saleem Malik & Ata ur Rehman are also Hindus and part of minorities in Pakistan. Recommend

• ali
    Jan 21, 2016 - 6:44PM

261 wickets still unhappy from Pakistan. Thats why minorities are discriminated. Recommend

• Point
    Jan 21, 2016 - 7:04PM

Stop using religion for indian sympathy. It wasn’t Pakistan but ECB that caught you red-handed. Face consequences for what ill you did. I guess every stupid in Pakistan looks for tiny strings for success, here this guy is using his religion as a ticket to successRecommend

• Qadir
    Jan 21, 2016 - 7:14PM

Alhamdullillah!!! Mr. Danish Kaneria, you have realized the disadvantages of not following the true deen. About time, you come to the fold of true deen and see how your life takes a new turn. Learn from Yusuf, come to Islam. Ummah will welcome you with open arms.Recommend

• Jan 21, 2016 - 8:08PM

@ShamelessPakistanis:
    good answerRecommend

• Jan 21, 2016 - 8:09PM

here comes another mindless stooge to disgrace Pakistan. Recommend

• Syedpk
    Jan 21, 2016 - 9:05PM

BCCI ?? lol he is playing the religion card here, I would have sympathized with him if he had just said that he is mistreated because of being Hindu, but by appealing to BCCI he is just proving the far right stereotypical view of Hindu minorities in Pakistan to be true.
    Just dont forget it was PCB who selected you to play at national stage in the first place. By appealing to BCCI like this you have lost all possible chances of any support from Pakistan.Recommend

• akm INDIAN
    Jan 21, 2016 - 9:12PM

very sad. educated pakis should help him. he is being discriminated for being hindu. shame shame.Recommend

• Raj - USA
    Jan 21, 2016 - 9:21PM

@Herry:
    “Only Hindu cricketer are not allowed to play, their is no Hindu actors in pak movies and drama too… ”

One good Pakistani movie I was was “Ramchand Pakistani”. In that movie, Indian actor, Nandita Das played the role of a Pakistani hindu woman as there are no hindus, sikhs or christians in Pakistan’s movie or entertainment industry.

I have raised another issue also many times. Even in Islamic countries like UAE, Bahrain, Oman and Qatar where there less number of hindus and sikhs as compared to Pakistan, you will find hindu / sikh owned and hindu /sikh operated restaurants and eateries, some serving vegetarian dishes only. In Pakistan you will not find one hindu / sikh / christian owned and operated restaurant, eatery, dhaba or operated bakery. The reason: Pakistani muslims will not eat food with or food cooked by non-muslims because they are considered untouchables by muslims of Pakistan. Has anyone seen a restaurant or eatery that has a hindu, sikh or christian name? On the contrary, where caste system is still prevalent in India, you will find that almost all roadside eateries where you buy your pani puri, bhel puri, samosa, tikki, pav vada, etc. are owned and operated by muslims and lower caste hindus.Recommend

• Adnan
    Jan 21, 2016 - 9:50PM

If PCB Discriminate then he never plays from Pakistan Team. Recommend

• pk
    Jan 21, 2016 - 10:31PM

What is appalling is that there is not even a single Hindu scholar, writer, columnist in Pakistan. It seems that they have lost all hopes. They know very well that things are beyond repair.Recommend

• [email protected]
    Jan 21, 2016 - 10:49PM

The question is “Who banned him for life ” PCB/Pakistan ?? I don’t the board did not even interfere when the trio spot fixers were penalized by foreign courts. Sad, he accused the board for it Recommend

• An Indian
    Jan 21, 2016 - 11:37PM

Please come to India. You are one of us and always welcome in your motherland.Recommend

• Paa ji
    Jan 22, 2016 - 12:05AM

He is playing ‘Hindu card’ to Indian audience. But he was banned by ECB and ICC, from where does PCB come into being? Salim Malik and Ijaz Ahmad were banned for life and they never played. Azharuddin was banned for life, he never played. Amir, Salman and Asif’s punishment had time period and they were allowed to play after the lapse of that period. Is he so thick to understand that? BTW, an Indian Annu Bhatt (a bookie) is involved in his case and he is appealing to India to do something for him. A big LOL!! Recommend

• Indus
    Jan 22, 2016 - 12:18AM

Government of India should consider his case. India is predominantly Hindu while Nepal is technically 100% Hindu. If India does not accept him, where else will Hindus can go. Sad state.Recommend

• zainulabadin
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:32AM

Really sad, he finally said it. thats how he pays back PCB for its justice to let him play for pakistan regardless of his religion, PCB didnt drag in his religion, he did. there are many Muslim cricketers, tv stars who have been living tough life after their retirement, what about them? minorities should understand one thing, this is pakistan not germany, people here live in extremely tough conditions regardless of their faith, but this guy thought he has this religion card yet to play. how selfish of him. and one more thing, Amir only survives because of his his attitude. not because he is a muslim.Recommend

• Clockboy Ahmed
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:51AM

Please apply for visa for UK or Europe as asylum seeker. You will get one. Pakistan is NO place for non-Muslims!Recommend

• Jan 22, 2016 - 3:07AM

Danish do you still think Pakistan is yoursRecommend

• Vijay K
    Jan 22, 2016 - 3:11AM

@Dev:
    @akm INDIAN:
    @Rohit: Wrong ! India will not accept cheats, especially Hindu cheats. He needs to clear his name first.Recommend

• optimist
    Jan 22, 2016 - 4:21AM

@ Raj
    There are many vegetarian restaurants run by Hindus in Sindh province. My Sindhi friend tells me that they are open even during fasting times. The people who are not fasting find them quite convenient. Recommend

• Salman
    Jan 22, 2016 - 4:43AM

He should play IPL. A tournament of fixers where from the players to team owners, all fix the matches. Its just suits him best.Recommend

• Kuldeep
    Jan 22, 2016 - 8:04AM

@salman

If IPL was a tournament for fixers then all teams would be made of just Pakistani players….no need to tell why….it is apt to say that they are “cheap products with great return”Recommend

• Rahul
    Jan 22, 2016 - 8:38AM

@Salman:
    Yes and Pakistan is full of people with high moral character and infallible justice. Pakistani players have never taken a cent of money which isn’t rightfully theirs. Right?Recommend

• Pakistan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 9:36AM

@Raj – USA: Bomby Bakery Hyderabad, the most famous bakery in Pakistan. If you don’t have complete information please don’t poke your nose.Recommend

• Hassan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 9:37AM

@Vicky: Much much better than Muslims in India. when he was guilty he has to face the consequences unlike India where guilty or not a non hindu is born to suffer, forget about Non-hindus, the other lower casts cannot exercise their right. in fact they dont have any right.shame shame….. Recommend

• Sadia
    Jan 22, 2016 - 9:40AM

We all know how well PCB has treated starts like Inzamam ul huq, Ijaz Ahmed and many more. Dnt we? They were not hindus. So please stop spreading hatred among pakistanis. We already have alot to deal with. Everyone, majority or minority, is suffering.

“I can even teach young Indians the art of spin, can’t I? Why can’t they call me? I am one of them.” If this was statement by a muslim living in india, imagine what indian media and extremists would have done to him.Recommend

• Hassan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 9:45AM

Let him go there once. the living standard he is enjoying in Pakistan even an elite Indian cannot think to afford that in India. i have my own 500 sq yard house and two other investments in real estate with 2 cars, i mean i am not a big shot but listen Indians this is how we live which most of bollywood actors cannot afford that in Mumbai.Recommend

• Raj - USA
    Jan 22, 2016 - 10:06AM

@optimist:
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.Recommend

• ROFL
    Jan 22, 2016 - 10:30AM

@Hassan…yeah, pak actors, artists who come to work in India, tell everything :)Recommend

• What if
    Jan 22, 2016 - 10:58AM

What if you all want to have my opinion(s), then refer to comments of the following people for beautiful comments.

@Syedpk:
    @khurram shahzad:
    @ali:
    @ShamelessPakistanis:
    @Malik Saab:
    @waqas:
    @salman: Recommend

• Komal S
    Jan 22, 2016 - 12:55PM

@Qadir:
    And there are 4 people liking your proposal. Grow up. Recommend

• Libra
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:04PM

Danish (Dhanesh) Kaneria is involved in gambling and guilty to disrepute Pakistan. Pakistan did not ban him but this is ICC. He wants to go Indian. Who stops him? Go right now.Recommend

• Hassan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:08PM

@Raj – USA: u should stay in USA….there are documentaries on the discrimination in india with minorities and dallits and other lower caste hindus…even this is issue has been highlighted in many indian movies. we in Pakistan have no such issues. one player is suffering for his wrong doings like other Muslims players faced the same in past. he just want money let it be from india or any other country. by far India seems to be a soft target for him.Recommend

• Ajay
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:15PM

Pakistan is one of the most communal and biased society in the World. Due to their communal policies and misuse of religion as a binding force, they have lost East Pakistan which chose to get out of their clutches. They are spreading religion based poison in dividing society within India in general and Jammu & Kashmir in particular. On the other hand when these Pakistanis travel to Western Countries to make a living, they complaint about intolerance against Pakistanis!!!Recommend

• MD Ashraf
    Jan 22, 2016 - 1:20PM

Sadia ..Good Comment Recommend

• Jan 22, 2016 - 1:20PM

I failed because i am Mohajir,
    People treated me very badly because i am Salafi Muslim.

This ailment is growing with fast pace in Pakistan. Recommend

• Talking Point
    Jan 22, 2016 - 2:36PM

@Hassan: Your SC has shown the world what your standards are by allowing hunting of the endangered birds by the Sheikhs. For a few dollars anything is possible except respect and yet you are talking about respect and quality of life. How wise of you to compare Bollywood with your self! Next you would compare yourself with the German FM who does not own a car …Recommend

• Hassan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 3:05PM

@Talking Point: he don’t own a car on his own wish…but bollywood actors are bound to live in apartments, secondly u cannot compare a common person in indian and Pakistan, may be earning same but he has much better life style. so its better to listen and leave. don’t argue. muaaaah… Recommend

• Dr.M.M. Khan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 3:54PM

Dear Kaneria, i cannot let you go unchallenged. You need your head examined. You have played the most primitive card possible RELIGION. It is not a MOSLEM PAKISTAN which has banned you. It is the int.community who has done so. It is moslem pakistan who gave the highest honour to you to represent it. You became rich and famous playing for a moslem country but yet you disgrace the country of birth and play the victim card of being a HINDU. I doubt if BCCI is going to show any interest in your ranting. You have shot yourself in the foot by your irresposible remarks. Please repent before it is too late. Have a good look in the mirror. To us you are a Pakistani and not a HINDU.Recommend

• Owais
    Jan 22, 2016 - 4:06PM

He played at a time where we seriously lacked good bowlers and most of his wickets came at a higher strike rate and economy rate. Having said that, we can still respect him for the cricket that he has played for our country and the time that he has served as a cricketer but we need to draw a line of how far, as a country, we can go in pardoning the sportsmen who lack integrity. It’s not anything against being Muslim/Hindu and he should not have made such comments nor should have approached the BCCI. If Pakistan did hold anything against him for being Hindu, he would have never been selected at the first place and would not have played that many tests. Our cricketers/sportsmen should learn the art of performing with consistency and with integrity.Recommend

• Syedpk
    Jan 22, 2016 - 6:07PM

@Raj – USA

Lol, your comments are laughable , Nandita Das was approached because of her good acting skills not because we dont have minority actors in the industry. The Media entertainment industry in KArachi has approx 30 % people from minority backgrounds. Specially Christians are really active in Pakistani Entertainment industry.
    Get your facts right.Recommend

• optimist
    Jan 22, 2016 - 6:45PM

@ Raj – USA
    You don’t have to be Hindu to play a Hindu woman! Nandita Das was invited to work to increase the star power of the film.
    Search Shabnam who rules Pakistani film Industry for decades! She was Hindu.
    Kiran Kher also acted in Pakistani films. Dozens of Indian actors, Singers have acted in Pakistani film and drama Industry (I remember watching in the 90s). Since our entertainment industry was very small, the news didn’t really spread. Recommend

• Bahadurkhan
    Jan 22, 2016 - 9:40PM

Friends – azhar was released by courts for match fix/bribery, jadeja was released, Srikanth was released by courts. Azharuddin is making a movie. Tv commentator to make a living, same with jadeja. Srisant is acting in films to make a living. As pakistan board is negligent towards his financial condition. I feel there is a case for Danish to get financial/legal support from indian board. As a refugee he can also start leg spin academy/ become tv commentator. If we can support adnan Sami, we can do anything.Recommend

• Pakistani
    Jan 23, 2016 - 12:48AM

Its not because you are hindu its because you did spot fixing!Recommend

• Xenia
    Jan 23, 2016 - 3:22AM

@Raj – USA:
    Please try to visit sind. Major portion of eateries are owned by proud Pakistani Hindus. Stop this baseless propoganda.
    Just a simple example…80% of Pickle business in Umerkot is owned by Hindus. Recommend

• Islamic Thekedar
    Jan 23, 2016 - 7:57AM

@ali:
    Nice justification about minority discriminations. Pity!!!Recommend

• smalee
    Jan 25, 2016 - 6:09PM

Inzimam ul Haq, Waqar Younas, Waseem Akram, Saeed Anwar, Saleem Malik, Ijaz Ahmed, Aqib Javed, Muhammad Yousaf, and many more.

and Above All

Javed Mian Daad.

We have deal all of them with same stick.

Although Waqar & Waseem were become controversial, but still i support them. Every disease has a medicine and they could be dealt accordingly.

Kia inn kay record kisi aur country kay naam hotay, nai naa.

Then why we disgraced them when we need them the most, All left national team at the time they can break records and create new records for the country.
    But who care for country ?
    Yes we do care about politics.

Just compare the case of India

Sunil Gavaskar, Azhar ud Din, Kapil Dev, Sri Kant, Ravi Shashtri, Siddhu and more have given the chance and result is same. (Apology for Name spell mistakes)
    they all have good records.

But who cares.

We only respect people if they are respected 1st by another country or after when they passed away.

Anyway
    khaa loo
    Pii loo
    Jee loo

This is our approach Recommend

• Mahinder Sharma
    Jan 27, 2016 - 4:26PM

PCB is not responsible for the punishment in fact Danish Kaneria should be thankful to the Pakistani Cricket Board for giving him an opportunity to play for Pakistani Cricket team. His cousin Anil Dalpat also got chance to play for Pakistani Cricket team but here ECB has investigated the case and after thorough analysis they have punished him as a life time ban on playing cricket so this dispute is between Danish Kaneria & ECB. Actually International Cricket Council (ICC), Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) or Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has nothing to do with the scenario. Heena Jadav Sunil is a famous & successful author of Equinox living in Pakistan and she is the first cousin of Danish Kaneria’s wife. Deepak Perwani is a famous designer & actor of Pakistan. Satish Anand the owner of Eveready Group of companies, Satish is Pakistan’s oldest film/television producer and distributor. Naveen Parwani is a snooker player who won the bronze medal in 2002 asian games of Pakistan. There are many Hindu Politicians, Judges/Lawyers, Government Officers, and Doctors living freely in Pakistan but if anyone is involved in any kind of illegal activity definitely he has to suffer and should be punished to set an example for others.Recommend

• Jan 29, 2016 - 5:32PM

Go to India you are free not locked up in a cell and then you will realize the importance of Pakistan what Pakistan have given you money fame and most of all name and dignity and what You gave back to Pakistan in return. Hindu or a muslim a cheat is a cheat, and no sympathy with cheaters hope you will leave Pakistan soon and make it your bread and butter to spoil pakistan name further as lot of sick Pakistanis are doing the same in West no worries if there will be one more.Recommend

• Ladhani
    Feb 1, 2016 - 12:13AM

Shame shameful thinking of pcbRecommend

More in Sports